Success Story - Meet Vanessa S.

Name:  Vanessa S.
Age:  32
Height: 5'1"
Before Weight:  225
Current Weight:  150


How did you gain your weight?  I have always struggled with my weight since I was a little girl, but the big weight actually came on after moving to NY.  The late work hours and food delivery combined with no time to workout, I went from 135lb to 190lb from 2008 to 2010. In 2011 we moved to VA, where I got pregnant with my second child. I had just turned 30, and was put on bed rest at week 12 of the pregnancy due to complications. During those 9 months I went up from 190lb to 225lb.

What made you change your lifestyle?  My "moment" was on Christmas Day 2011. I saw a picture that was taken of my sister and myself next to the Christmas tree and I was bigger than my sister and the tree. That's when I had to make the decision to change my diet, and I was determined to do it the right way this time.

How did you lose your weight?  I started starving myself  like I had done many many times before, but being in my 30's and with two kids this time it wasn't working.  My husband noticed that I was not getting any results, and together we found a diet that worked for me.  I started counting calories, and to help me with this task, I used the app "Lose It" which tracked all my meals. I also combined it with different types of exercises like walking, going to the gym, doing Taebo, Zumba, P90x, Firm, Insanity and everything else I could get my hands on.  You might ask "Why so many different types of workouts?"  Well, I get kinda bored easily, so for me it worked to switch around workouts every other week.  I couldn't have done it without the support of my wonderful husband. He was there all the way, and never ever said I was overweight.  It took me around 8 months to lose the weight.

What was the hardest obstacle in your weight loss journey?  Accepting the fact that the weight won't come off over night. Accepting that the average weight is not the average for me. To learn to listen to what my body needs, not what I desire for it.

Any advise you would like to offer to people that are starting this journey?  The best advice I could give--is to give yourself a break!  Everyone has a different lifestyle. What works for me may not won't work for you. Take every pound, every ounce lost as a success! Every small step takes you closer to your goal.

Do you have a FB page and/or Blog?  I currently don't have a Blog, but you can add me on FB for support, you can find me using my email: vsantiago3@yahoo.com

### 

Editor's Note:   I want to congratulate Vanessa on her accomplishment.  I met Vanessa a couple of years ago at the Walk to Beat the Clock - A cervical cancer walk.  Like me she has dealt with the disease herself.  Vanessa is a great warrior who has shown dedication and strength. I wish her the very best for her and her entire family.  Thank you my survivor sister for sharing your story to inspire us all.

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing, you look amazing and I love how you mentioned you switch exercises weekly. That's a smart way to trick the muscles of your body and burn more calories. keep up the good work consistency is the key. :-)

    ReplyDelete