My SoulCycle Experience

As many of you know I LOVE Spinning®.  I have been Spinning® for more than two years now.  Spinning® allows me to connect my mind and body--- it is just simply magical.

It took me awhile to be able to do this and ride in my zone.  Some people find Spinning® boring, but I believe that if you are able to connect body and mind the experience of the ride is awesome.

Back in September, for my birthday, my friend Rena had given me a gift certificate to "SoulCycle" --  According to their website SoulCycle is a indoor cycling re-invented.  These classes have become pretty popular with people including some celebrities.

Rena and I both decided to try it together on a Friday since we were not having our training session.  We were taking the 10:30am class - we had heard that this particular class was very popular, so we registered for the class four days prior.

At the time of registration they told me my bike was #63 - I thought to myself 63????? - how many bikes are there???
I'm used to a maximum of 20 bikes in my classes, but I just waited to see.

Friday came and it was one of the coldest days in the Big Apple, but we were committed to go and experience this new class.

We arrived about 20 minutes early for the sold-out 45 minute session.  We checked in at the front desk, I had to sign a waiver since I was a first time rider there.  We were given cycling shoes and were instructed to go downstairs to put our things in a locker.

Ready to Ride
We entered the dark studio filled with about 70 bikes and I noticed two things - #1 on some of the walls there were written words such as: ATHLETE, LEGEND, WARRIOR, RENEGADE, ROCK STAR - words to rouse and incite the rider.  #2 SoulCycle had their own bikes -  I have read that these bikes were designed and produced exclusively by SoulCycle - customized with weight holders holding two 2lb. weights positioned on the bike perfectly to compliment the workout.

As we looked for our bikes to get settled, I realized that every single bike was being taken.  Wow!!! this was on a Friday at 10:30 in the morning, yet these people manage to come in and ride for 45 minutes.  They all seem like they were regulars to this class.

Our instructor was "Mireya" - she definitely stood out in the middle of the room pouring confidence and looking strong --It was obvious she was the instructor.  She chose two riders (probably regulars in her class) to be up on the podium.

As the class began Mireya's voice was clear and strong - and the two riders on the podium rode perfectly to her cues.  I loved the mantra she used at the beginning of class "Close your Eyes, Open your Heart, and Breath." - I know that's the best equation you need to have an awesome ride--and that we did.

It was a different ride than the ones Rena and I are accustomed to, but nevertheless it was enjoyable. Music was great, the energy was amazing, the ride very challenging and Mireya did an awesome job keeping her audience motivated, which is extremely important.

At the end of class I was drenched and out of breath. We have done it!!!  I looked at my Polar FT7 Heart Rate Monitor and it read 569 calories.  Yay!!! I was pleased.

Recommend A Class
If you were to ask me if I recommend taking a SoulCycle class? I would say YES!  It is a great cardio workout.  However, it is not a cheap ride - know that it is $34 a session and $3 to rent the shoes (unless you have your own cycling shoes).  First-timers receive a special $20 rate including the rental of the shoes. They also offer discount packages if you want to purchase multiple classes.

Since 2006, when founders, Julie Rice and Elizabeth Cutler opened their first studio on the Upper West Side in New York City, SoulCycle has opened 36 locations nationwide, with plans to open 50-60 studios worldwide by 2016. They have approximately 50,000 people riding at SoulCycle every week. 

The End of the Day
Kale Kolada®
We had a great time experiencing this new ride and we wanted to celebrate-- so we decided to go to Juice Generation®. - a juice and smoothie bar.  I had a Kale Kolada® which contains Kale, Spinach, Banana and young coconut. Rena had a Supa Dupa Greens® which contains Spinach, Kale, Apple, Parsley, Cucumber, Romaine, Celery and Lemon. ---CHEERS!!!! 
A great end to a wonderful experience.
Supa Dupa Greens®


 










"The only source of knowledge is experience" ~Albert Einstein

Editor's Note:  I just want to thank my friend and partner in crime, Rena, for making this experience possible.  I am glad we were able to experience it together. Thank you for always supporting me, and pushing me when I need it. xoxo
Patti

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review.. I am sure it is nothing in comparison to the spinning class that I take @ my local Y in Maryland.

    ReplyDelete

  2. First off I would like to say wonderful blog! I had a quick question which I'd like to ask if you don't mind. I was interested to find out how you center yourself and clear your head prior to writing. I have had a hard time clearing my mind in getting my ideas out there. I do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are usually lost just trying to figure out how to begin. Any suggestions or tips? Kudos! yahoo sign in

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though the top rate will fluctuate, the relationship to prime will stay constant over your term. mortgage payment calculator canada We allow you to make a onetime one time payment by inputting just how much in the actual mortgage table inside the year you wish to generate the payment. mortgage calculator

    ReplyDelete