My January's 5K

One of my New Year's goal is to run a 5k every month of 2013.  My January's 5K took place one minute after the clock hit 12am on New Year's Day.

It was the New Year's Eve Dash at the Eisenhower Park, LI, NY.  The temperature was about 27 degrees at the start of the race. Oh yes, it was very cold and very windy. The wind made it feel even colder.

Before the race we watched the ball come down in Times Square on a big TV screen inside the park.  At the strike of midnight, barely having enough time to wish my hubby, my brother and my friend Maria a Happy New Year, we took off.


The End of the Race 30:45
Running against the cold wind is no fun, especially for a newbie like me.  My lungs were not too happy and I struggled somewhat throughout the race slowing my pace down.  It was quite an experience running in cold weather at that time of night.

The park was well lit, but their were portions of the route that were not making me more aware of where I was.  This was my third 5K overall, but the hardest so far due to the cold weather.  Nevertheless, I finished with an official time of 30:45.  Coming in #95 out of 204 overall runners, 42 out of 119 females and 5 out 12 in my age group. Not too bad if I say so myself.

After the race, there was a party inside a big warm tent where there was a buffet of delicious food and drinks to celebrate not only the race, but the beginning of the new year.

February's 5K
My brother, Maria, hubby and myself had a great time to the end until they threw us out .  It was an awesome night.  A great start of a brand new year 2013.

So January 5K is done.  I have already registered for my February one which is the "Riverside Park Hot Chocolate 5K" on February 2, 2013.

 I can't wait to get my cup of hot chocolate at the end of the race. Even though I think there is a better way to get a cup of hot chocolate than to run 3.1 miles for it, ~ LOL~ A bit masochistic??? Perhaps, but I see it as reaching goals that at one point of my life seemed unreachable.

Hubby and Me at the party
My friend Maria (who ran with me),Me and My brother Rudy at the party.
Thank you Maria for running with me.
Having a great time at the New Year's Party 2013

Your goal should be out of reach but not out of sight. ~ Anita Defrantz


Related Links
My February 5K
I conquered my First 5K
My Second 5K

No comments:

Post a Comment