Second Annual Freeze Out Cancer - My Eighth 5K Race

Finish Line
On December 15th, 2013, I ran my eighth 5K race- The Second Annual Freeze Out Cancer. held at Riverside Park in NYC.

I ran the Freeze Out Cancer race last year, and this year I was honored to have been contacted by the organizers offering sponsorship to Heavy Girl to Healthy Girl as well as three of my readers.


To be totally honest, I was never expecting anything like this, it was a great surprise, and I was more than happy to accept and offer my readers the opportunity to run for such a great cause.

This year the weather unfortunately did not cooperate as it did last year. It had snowed about 5 inches the day before, and it was slushy and icy in some spots, but the paths had been plowed. The temperature was in the low 30's. Nevertheless we were there ready to run, and support the cause.

 The organizers did an awesome job--out doing themselves from last year.  This year's proceeds are going to the Children's Tumor Foundation.  The Children's Tumor Foundation is dedicated to improving the health and well-being of individuals and families affected by neurofibromatosis (NF),

There was no PR on this race - I ran cautiously and steady.  I finish strong and with the time of 32:04, which was not my best, but not my worse.

My nephew Anthony and Me
This race was kind of special to me since I ran it with my nephew Rudy (Anthony as he is known to the family), and a former marine for 8 years.  I was a proud Aunt - I still remember when he was a little boy and now here we are running a 5K together.

Hubby stood proud at the finish line taking pictures and cheering all of us at the finish line.  Love that man!!! He cheers my small and big milestones no matter what.

Jo, Anthony and Me
I want to take this opportunity to thank the organizers of Freeze Out Cancer for giving Heavy Girl to Healthy Girl the great opportunity to participate in such an awesome race benefiting a great cause.  I am sure that next year's race will be even better.  Looking forward to next year's event.

I also want to thank and give a shout out to Jo Terris, Viviana Rosa and Kendra Holman for participating in the race and doing an awesome job on their first 5K.  All of you ROCKED!!!!!!

OK call me crazy for liking to run in the freezing weather, but I must say I enjoy it.  So in the note, I have registered for my ninth 5K already - it will be taking place on February 1, 2014. 

I have goals to reach in the New Year.  No time to sit and wait for the weather to get warmer.  The journey must continue....

At the finish line (l to r) Me, Jo, Anthony and Viviana

Hubby and Me - Proud Husband

Always ready to GO with a Smile

Viviana and Kendra - You guys ROCKED!!


Related Link
First Annual Freeze Out Cancer

1 comment: